Sunday 18 July 2010

A few more firsts

The first aubergine flowers opened this week.


As pretty as they are, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get some fruit this year.

The garlic took a battering against the wind this week. I wasn't sure if they had keeled over because they are ready for picking or if the wind did it.... so I pulled one up.


When I cut it open, it didn't look as if the cloves had separated properly so I'm guessing they are not quite ready yet. I'm wondering if this is what people are talking about when they mention wet garlic? I'll leave them in a bit longer but keep an eye on them to make sure they haven't been damaged and need to come up anyway.

My relationship with radishes is a strange one... I don't like them, but grow them because I have free seeds and they don't take up much room. These ones are called hilds blauer herbst und winter and I'd not grown this variety before.


I decided this time that if I didn't like them I would stop growing them and give the seeds away. I nibbled on a little bit and still didn't like it, but what if I cooked them?

A quick scout through my vegetable cook book found a recipe for citrus radish confit. I also had some turnips and had previously glazed them, so decided to make a combination of citrus glazed turnips and radish - what a difference cooking them makes... delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment