Sunday 4 July 2010

View from the potting shed

The veg plot is pretty full at the moment. This is the view from the potting shed


More experienced gardeners would probably say that things are planted too close together... and they would be right, but I have a lot to fit into the space and it seems to be working okay so far.

I am now harvesting enough of a selection of veg every day so that I don't need to buy any from the shops. In the past few days I have continued to pick mange tout, peas, courgettes and turnips but also had the first potatoes (see patience is a virtue post), first shallots


and first pak choi (although I had to pick this because it bolted, I think they are supposed to grow bigger than this)


A couple of cabbages should also be ready in the next week or so.

I think I could still do better to keep it going for as long as possible. My successional sowing has fallen by the wayside, so I rectified this by sowing a selection of lettuces and salad leaves, chinese cabbage, chicory and some onions for pickling (the last lot didn't materialise into anything).

I also need to get some more root veg in the ground, or rather containers... for some reason they didn't grow in the raised bed so that got filled up with brassicas. The ones that I already have in containers are doing much better so I bought some builder's buckets today and need to get sowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment