Wednesday 4 May 2016

A very productive day

I spent today working from my favourite office...


... and a very productive day it was too.

The shop-bought tomato plants have romped away; shirley and sweet million in particular have been potted on into their final pots.


Lagging waaaaaay behind are my home-sown red pear and gardener's delight; these are the only tomatoes that germinated so I am determined to keep them healthy so that they produce well later in the year.


In other late germination news, I have one cape gooseberry seedling... it's teeny tiny at the moment, but again, I will do everything I can to make sure it grows.


Hopefully we are over the freezing cold weather now, so things will start to warm up and therefore speed up.

The first of the cucurbits appeared a few days ago and there are now four courgette seedlings, but sadly no cucumbers yet.


I have gone back to the original varieties of peas, beans and sweetcorn that I grew in my first year; these modules and pots contain golden sweet yellow podded mange tout, cherokee trail of tears beans and double standard bicolour sweetcorn.


I also sowed a few of my favourite 'heading' lettuces, lollo rossa and little gem as well as a variety of mixed salad leaves including rocket, mizuna, mesclun and a spicy mix, so will soon be picking rather than buying lettuce for the dinner table.

Outside, the onions, shallots and garlic that I planted out a couple of weeks or so ago are starting to show signs of growth.


But there is no sign of the beetroot or leeks that I sowed direct at the same time... maybe due to the frost that followed shortly after, maybe not... it might just be too soon.

I also got a fair bit of sorting and tidying done; including going through all of my seed packets and disposing of the partially used sachets from 3+ years ago. I feel as if I have almost caught up with where I need to be at this point in the season... long may the good weather continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment