Sunday 24 April 2011

Early (and unexpected) Harvests

Way back in October I planted out a selection of brassicas... I thought I might be able to use them for spring greens if nothing else. The only one to turn into anything was calabrese.





The florets were a bit spindly and cooked almost within seconds, but the flavour was still great. I won't be repeating this intentionally but it was interesting to see it survive a freezing cold winter and manage to "head up"... the remaining plants are still in the ground, one has bolted and the others are large and leafy, but too tough for greens. I'll probably need to pull them up soon as I'll need the space. 

In November I sowed the last of a packet of peas with the intention of using them for shoots... well, I just left them in the greenhouse and forgot about them. Last month I noticed a couple of flowers on them so planted them out. Today they were looking a bit worse for wear and as I was pulling them out for the compost heap I noticed a few pods, so shelled them


Even though it's only about a tablespoon, they have turned out better than the ones I tried to grow last year... maybe I should consider overwintering some later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment