Sunday 5 September 2010

Almost forgot...

... on Bank Holiday Monday I decided to tidy up the overgrown, caterpillar infested brassica beds. Most of the remaining "above the ground" veg was discarded, but I was hoping that the "below the ground" i.e. swede would be okay... not so.

They were too close together and had either been stunted, split or eaten by critters. Swede were supposed to be part of my masterplan to provide fresh veg during winter. I did manage to save one though.



I've read some comments that swede isn't very nice if it's harvested too early and before the frosts have got to it; this one tasted lovely steamed and mashed with some of my rooster potatoes. I just wish I had a few more to grow on.

Next year I must take more care to thin them out and be more vigilant where cabbage whites are concerned!

No comments:

Post a Comment