Sunday 20 February 2011

Herbs

When I first started growing my own, I never intended herbs to be part of my repertoire... I hardly ever cooked with fresh herbs so would only buy them if a specific recipe called for them.

However, over the past few years they have become a more regular feature in my cooking as it has been easy to pop into the garden and pick a few leaves to add to whatever happens to be on the hob at the time... and I must say, you can't beat fresh thyme thrown into risotto at the last minute or a beef joint roasted with fresh rosemary.

I currently have coriander, sage, rosemary and thyme (sounds almost like the song) that seems to have survived the winter so to add to my herb garden I sowed some basil (sweet genovese & red leaved) and parsley in pots in the greenhouse today.

I also sowed a few experimental romana bougival lettuce seeds in the greenhouse. These were given to me last year but without any growing instructions and I never managed to produce anything substantial out of them. I did a quick internet search and I believe it is a cos type lettuce that can be sown quite early in the year, so thought I may as well get started with it and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment