Saturday 25 June 2011

Fruity Disaster!

So, there I was admiring my first successfully sown cape gooseberry plants. This was them a couple of weeks ago



At about the same time I read that they can grow to 6 feet tall and equally wide (well, maybe not equally wide but pretty bushy), so I had to reconsider my plan to keep them in those pots and grow them on in the greenhouse as I didn't think that wasn't going to work.

Last weekend I did a bit more admiring of the pretty flowers


and fruit which has now started to set


before attempting to pot them into suitably large containers to be located outside.

That is when disaster struck... I had prepared the new container with moist compost, managed to lift the first plant out of it's existing pot and carefully manouvre it to the new position. At this point the weight of the plant in conjunction the movement caused the main stem to snap.

Gutted was not strong enough for how bad I felt... I stood there staring at the decapitated plant, wondering if I could somehow stick it back together which probably sounds a bit silly but has worked in the past when tomato stems have snapped. Anyway, it had broken clean off so any attempt at plant micro-surgery would have been futile. 

So, I am now left with just the one plant, which seems contented enough in it's current pot so that is definitely where it will be staying.

No comments:

Post a Comment