Sunday 24 January 2010

Currants and Berries

I weeded my currants & berries bed today and planted the blackcurrant and redcurrant canes I bought earlier this month. This is them in their new home in the middle of the bed.


To the left, my strawberry plants are looking a bit sorry for themselves, and as I have never had much success with them I'm a bit worried, but frost is supposed to do them good so fingers crossed.


On the right hand side I cut down my raspberry canes, which is what you are supposed to do in winter, I think I should have done it at the end of last year though and I'm just hoping I didn't leave it too late and they grow back to fruit in the autumn... fingers crossed again!



I didn't get any gooseberries or blackberries last year, and the respective bushes (are they still bushes if they have no leaves?!) have been left to their own devices, and seem to be okay.

So, if everything comes good, I should be overwhelmed with currants and berries this year... for the last time, fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment