Sunday 1 August 2010

Baby Sweetcorn

I tried growing baby sweetcorn (minipop) for the first time this year; the plants are absolutely huge, taller than the regular type


I wasn't sure when to pick them so did a quick search on the internet; one view was to pick a couple of days after the tassels appear, another was to pick before the tassels appear.

This didn't really leave me with much option because tassels had been out for a few days on a couple of mine. So, these are the two I picked yesterday


They tasted absolutely beautiful, but I am disappointed with the yield; each plant produces 2-3 cobs, which is what you get with the full sized ones. Unless you have loads of space to spare, you're better off growing the regular ones or something else. Mental note: need more growing space!

No comments:

Post a Comment