Monday 31 December 2012

Glorious Parsnips

This year's parsnips definitely warrant a post of their own; I eagerly harvested one in August and wasn't disappointed, then waited until November before pulling up two or three each week


However, the amount of wet weather we were having and the waterlogged ground started to worry me, so in early December I decided to pull them all up; this was a mammoth task in itself as thinning out is not something I tend to engage in


and I wasn't expecting so many


So, what to do with them all? Half of them were blanched and put in the freezer for roasting later; the rest of them became one of the easiest soups I have ever made.

I simply, chopped them up and fried them with some onion, sea salt, cumin, paprika and a couple of whole chillies


Added stock and cooked until softened


Removed the whole chilli and blended; it was quite thick so I needed to add a bit more stock to get the perfect consistency


It kept us fed for days!

No comments:

Post a Comment