Saturday 3 April 2010

April Showers

While the rain has been taking a break from falling from the sky I've been doing a little bit of tinkering outside and moving things around this morning.

The slugs were back in the greenhouse last night and had a real go at the cucurbits...


...to the point where I decided to sow some more gherkin and marketmore just to be on the safe side. The yellow scallop squash seems to have stood firm and only have slight nibble marks. The all green bush courgette had only recently appeared through the compost and were still under a propagator lid, so managed to escape attack.


While I was at it though I also sowed another courgette as one of the earlier ones failed to germinate.

On a more positive note, things are looking up with my tomatoes, I have 3 newly germinated costoluto fiorentino and 3 newly germinated garden pearl... it's still very early days and a couple of them are very weak, but considering I have around 40 modules on another shelf failing to germinate at all, I'm happy with what I can get.



The surprise tomato seedling from last week was also standing to attention and waiting to be potted on. I think it is sub-arctic plenty, but I'll just wait and see if it makes it through to maturity.


The mange tout are looking quite perky in the guttering...



... still a bit small to be planted out yet, plus a couple of years ago when I planted them out the first week in April it snowed the next day! They survived and went on to produce a magnificent crop, but it was still scary at the time.

In the raised bed I could just about see the shallots starting to send up shoots... about time, they seem to have just been sitting doing nothing for weeks.

Anyway, it does look like the sun is trying to come out now, so maybe I'll venture back outside in a bit

No comments:

Post a Comment