Sunday 28 March 2010

Pea Shoots

I was watching my favourite TV chef this weekend and one of the recipes called for pea shoots. He mentioned how easy they are to grow and said that they can be produced on tissue paper... a bit like growing cress. I had never thought about them like that and always viewed them as an off-shoot (no pun intended) from growing peas.

As I have a huge quantity of pea seed and based on previous attempts, little confidence in my ability to harvest them at the right time I thought I'd have a go at growing some specifically for shoots.

I did a quick internet search and it seems pretty simple... just sow as normal, when they get to about 5 inches tall cut the shoots, leaving about an inch of stem and they will reshoot. So, this is before I covered them over with compost:


and they are now on the top shelf in the greenhouse.

In other pea news, my mange tout and regular pea sowings have put in an appearance above the compost:


No comments:

Post a Comment