Sunday 21 March 2010

Slug Wars

So, what was supposed to be a quick visit outside this morning to work out my tasks for the next few days turned into all out war!

Silvery trails and munched leaves in the greenhouse were evidence that those slimy little critters have been dining out on my seedlings.


One of my poor little mini-whites has been munched when it was only half-way up through the compost, still with the seed casing attached - who knows if that will grow now?!

So, I undertook a search and destroy exercise... hiding under pots and in one of the propagators I found 6 slugs and one snail happily sleeping off their night-time feast. Unfortunately I dropped one of the slugs on the gravel and couldn't find him so he lives to munch another day.

One impudent snail was slowly making its way across the window frame in broad daylight - at least the others had the decency to hide.

To be honest though, I think I got off quite lightly... everything in the greenhouse is still very young and vulnerable and could have easily been decimated if there had been more of the little pests. They must have just been getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment